THE CONNECTICUT SOCIETY OF THE
SONS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION
Founded April 2, 1889, our purpose is to keep alive the memory of
men and women who fought or gave service for Independence in the American Revolutionary War.

Home » Museum » Root House

Root House


Description:

The Root House was built 1845 at the corner of Church and Lemon Streets by Hannah and William Root, early settlers of Marietta.

Mr. Root was one of Marietta's earliest merchants and its first druggist. He was the first merchant to receive a shipment of goods on the Western and Atlantic Railroad.

Today the Greek Revival style house stands just two blocks from its original location. It is one of the oldest surviving frame houses in Marietta, and offers a glimpse of the home life of a middle class merchant and his family.

Furnished with period furniture in the fashion of the 1850's, each room shows evidence of middle class life-style.


Address:

1827 Main St
Coventry, CT 06238