The Root House was built 1845 at the corner of Church and Lemon Streets by Hannah and William Root, early settlers of Marietta.
Mr. Root was one of Marietta’s earliest merchants and its first
druggist. He was the first merchant to receive a shipment of goods on
the Western and Atlantic Railroad.
Today the Greek Revival style house stands just two blocks from
its original location. It is one of the oldest surviving frame houses
in Marietta, and offers a glimpse of the home life of a middle class
merchant and his family.
Furnished with period furniture in the fashion of the 1850’s, each room shows evidence of middle class life-style.
1827 Main St
Coventry, CT 06238